Subject: Re: [Leica] Musings on the role of photography
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:15:42 +0100

Från: Khoffberg
> Ansel's relationships with
> folks like Stieglitz, Imogen Cunningham, Edward Weston, Paul Strand,
> and all the rest.
- --------------------------
I am puzzled why modern photographers revere these old names of the
distant past.  Their images for the most part are second rate when
compared to the awesome results produced by many current, known and
unknown, photographers today.

Perhaps its the mistaken belief that the images are good because they
were made with ancient unmanagable equipment.  Which is ridiculous, of
course, because an image must stand alone regardless of what or even
who made it.

I wonder how many of the old masters would succeed with todays
competition if they (hypothetically) had to start now.  I suspect that
the versatility of modern equipment would render their flair for
peeling paint pictures totally obsolete.

Regards and a Happy New year
Alan Hull
                 Speciallization is for insects.