Subject: Re: [Leica] Apples and Oranges, cromlech and soccer
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:31:11 -0300

At 04:28 AM 31/12/98 -0700, Somebody wrote:

>> ##############
>> I agree with you. A Leica R camera is perfectly adapted to photograph
>> cromlechs, not soccer players.
>> This afternoon, I've tried to photograph, for the first time in my life, a
>> soccer match with my R4s2 without motor. A disaster. Moreover without
>> autofocus, I was unable to shoot at the right moment.
>> I think I'm going to return to the cromlech...

        I suspect that this has more to do with your not having shot soccer
before then lack of AF. I shot sports for years without AF and motordrives.
I am still not comfortable using AF for anything.

        Sports photography is a specialty and requires fast
reflexes...yours, not the cameras. It also helps if you know the game well.
It allows you anticipate the action a little better.

        This is one type of photography that requires time and practice.

If there is any doubt about this check out Ted's sports photography!

cheers,
Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
TOUCHED BY FIRE; doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/locke/proj2.htm