Subject: Re: [Leica] Apples and Oranges, cromlech and soccer
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:28:49 -0700

Dominique PELLISSIER wrote:

> At 02:29 30/12/98 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote :
>
> The reason pros don't opt for Leica is more than price.  The cameras hold
> up, but if you need it for action the R8 simply can't compare with the new
> Canons and Nikons, as you say Apples and Oranges.  R-Lenses are very
> comparable to the better EOS L lenses these days with computerised optics.
> I know LUG will find this herecy but its true.
>
> ##############
> I agree with you. A Leica R camera is perfectly adapted to photograph
> cromlechs, not soccer players.
> This afternoon, I've tried to photograph, for the first time in my life, a
> soccer match with my R4s2 without motor. A disaster. Moreover without
> autofocus, I was unable to shoot at the right moment.
> I think I'm going to return to the cromlech...
>
> Dominique Pellissier

I didn't write the above and would pick an R over an L with great gusto.
And I think our optics are also computer aided and I know our optics are
ground (the aspherics) with computer aid in a way they can not compete
with. The new cheep Aspherics have kicked us squarely and suddenly ahead
and we should get use to the fact that we now have a definite edge which
is incontestable.
Any time I'd be using a high end Nikon or Canon lenses I'd have the
itching feeling as I told myself or my art director or client that this
is the highest quality image available technically in the world today in
this format: that I would be telling a hopeful falsehood... otherwise
known as kidding myself. The Leica ASPH's are the lenses to beat.
My Apples and Oranges kernel refer to Autofocus verses Non Autofocus

It's probably my fault the people I am quoting are appearing to be me, I
am new to this and will have to learn to do it right and all points of etiquette.
What's an cromlech, I think your making this up to test us? Try stopping
down or could you?
You are combining the moterdrive aspect with the autofocus aspect on the
soccer problem.