Subject: [Leica] Re: digital printing and scanning
From: "Tim Spragens" <t.spragens@cityweb.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:59:37 +0100

> From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
> Output-wise, can any home inkjet printer pretty consistently turn out prints
> which are free from any sign of banding?

I've got a wall full of photos printed on an Epson 1520 in A4 and
super A3 sizes.  None of them show banding.  The (slightly) larger
brother of this printer, the 3000 has separate cartridges for all inks,
and would probably be cheaper to operate in the long run.  The
saturation and tonality is quite good, the expected life of the images
is not so.  Epson is planning improvements in this area.

> Can a person use said
> printer to create 8x10 negatives, which could then be contact-printed onto
> #2 photographic paper, for easy fine art prints?

Interesting concept, and well worth a try.  I could send you a
transparency if you can print it - I've got no darkroom anymore.

> From: Rolf Hanson <rolf@cortex.med.cornell.edu>
> I strongly recommend against purchasing the LS-2000 or any other
> consumer scanner until after you have had a photoCD made of your
> work. Even if you go with an overpriced PhotoCD vendor charging
> $2 a scan, you will save money, get better results, and most
> importantly, not have to sit infront of a computer for 100 hours
> scanning and retouching.

I can't argue quality of LS-2000 scans vs. photoCD, but with my film
scanner I at least have control over how clean the negatives or
slides are, and *that* can save hours of retouching.  I've gotten
some very dirty scans on photoCD.