Subject: Re: [Leica] Video production stills
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:20:44 -0500

I need advice concerning shooting stills for a video production.  Any
thoughts or warnings would be appreciated.

Hi Martin,
I saw your similar post on the Pro Photo list and was tempted to respond.
Now that you are on the Leica list and in Massachusetts! I feel compelled
to answer.

Sound blimp question first. Last time I looked Boston didn't have a source
for blimps. I found one in Los Angeles (of course) at Samys Camera. Also,
blimps are camera specific and I am not aware that you will find one for a
Leica. But I've never had to use a blimp on a video production anyway.
Check with the sound person. One guy couldn't even hear my Leica M. It all
depends on whether you have to shoot during taping or not. And that depends
on what your clients needs are.

On the other list you asked advice on what films to use. Again, ask your
client how your images are to be used. The answer you get should inform you
as to what you should load your cameras with. But if it is too late to ask
bring your favorite brand of 400 speed black and white and similar speed
daylight and tungsten transparency film.  Don't bother with filters, you
will lose too much speed.

Lens range should be between 135mm and 20mm. 35mm and 85mm get used alot.

Bring a handheld meter for incident readings. Very important!

I hope you have worked out your rights issues with your client. If this
production is an industrial with no hired talent, getting releases may not
be a big problem. If it is going to be broadcast and/or there is talent
involved, beware. Actors are sensitive about how and where their image is
used. And your client may be asuming that they are retaining  all rights to
your photos. Make sure this is worked out.

Above all, be nice. This isn't your production. You are not in control. Be
prepared for long days. But enjoy, all the lighting is being done for you!

Bill Franson