Subject: Re: [Leica] digital photography - a BIG frustration
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 00:22:50 +0000

At 11:31 AM 12/29/98 -0600, you wrote:
<snipped>

>The Nikon LS2000 is just fine for all but the very high end of scanning.
>It's just knowing how to use it. I had a much harder time doing black and
>white than color with scanners. But I'm finally getting the hang of it and
>am getting some very nice images printed out.

>Eric Welch

I'm about to get my first scanner and I'm considering the Nikon Coolscan
III and the LS2000. Most of my images to be scanned are black and white.

I assume either scanner would be pretty much okay for images to be
displayed on the web. But I wonder if the difference between these two
scanners would show up in 10 x 8" black and white prints. I could end up
making a lot of such prints. I've been told different things by different
suppliers- one says that the difference will be negligible (he uses the
Coolscan II himself) and another says that on black and white prints, even
from an Epson 700, there will be a perceptible difference with those
scanned on the LS2000 looking better. Everything I've read seems to suggest
one or the other of these views. I would appreciate any additional feedback
I can get on the choice.

Joe Berenbaum