Subject: RE: [Leica] The 3D Efect
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 15:47:54 +0000

Peter,

I think you're confusing lens design versus the resulting image.  What you describe is a way that Leica would design a rangefinder lens. That point would make sense in that an SLR lens would be designed differently.

However,  since I posted the original comment that sparked this issue, I must clarify what I meant by the 3d effect.  It is the appearance that the subject in focus stands out from the surrounding background and foreground.  Since this is a 2d medium, that effect is no small feat.

I would rather believe that the 3d effect has to do with the contrast characteristics of a given lens.  As I mentioned earlier, the lenses I see this effect are my R series (35 summicron 1st gen, 85 summilux, 35-70 ROM).  I also see them in some of my M lenses (35 summilux aspherical, 75 summilux).

John