Subject: Re: [Leica] The 3D Efect
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:13:39 +0100

George Huczek wrote:

> At 12:00 PM 22/12/98 +0000, John wrote:
> > One thing I really like about the Leica lenses is their ability to
> > render the in-focus subjects nearly 3d in its differentiation from
> > the background.  I don't know if this is true with Nikkors.
>
> I've heard this so many times that I'm not sure anymore if this is a
> LUG myth or if there is some truth to it. Older SM Leica lenses may
> have been designed optically to bring this about intentionally, but
> is there any truth to this for newer lenses, or is it just part of
> the Leica mystique?

Bokeh is not a myth.  Internet links on Bokeh:

  http://www.engr.uvic.ca/~vhchan/bokeh.html

  http://www.slonet.org/~dkrehbie/bokeh/bokeh.htm

  http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/ATVB.pdf (PDF-file, needs Acrobat Reader)

  http://homepages.adhoc.net/gzappi/foto/bokeh-e.htm

  http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/bokeh.html

  http://www.princeton.edu/~law/lenses.html

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho