Subject: Re: [Leica] Ground glass screens
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:08:10 -0800

Greg Bicket wrote:

>With all the recent discussions about ground glass focusing screens, I am
>thinking about swapping out the standard screen that came in my R8.  My
>question is, with my photography being primarily a mix of wildlife and
>travel, would my needs be served best by the plain ground glass, or the
>ground glass with a grid?  Thanks for any thoughts on this.>>>>>>>>>

Hi greg,

I have always swapped the standard screen for the ground glass and that's
what I use in my R8 also.

I have found it without question to be the best for long lenses and great
with macro shooting.

I believe if one were doing a great deal of archectural stuff the gridlines
would be better. But there are other LUGGERS who use the grid screen and
swear by them, however I tried one for awahile for scenics and some general
photgraphy and found the gridlines far to distracting.  But then that could
be because of all the years of working with just plain ground glass.

But for your wildlife shooting, which I assume you use long lenses,  I bet
the ground glass without gridlines will be perfect.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant