Subject: [Leica] Ground glass screens
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 01:50:53 -0500

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Greg Bicket wrote:

<SNIP>
> with my photography being primarily a mix of wildlife and
>travel, would my needs be served best by the plain ground glass, or the
>ground glass with a grid?  Thanks for any thoughts on this.
>
>Ho Ho to all.

Greg,

As many LUGgers may remember, much of my photography is of wildlife, both
of the small humans in my house and of non-human creatures.

In the R-bodies I prefer the screen with the grid.  I don't use the grid so
much for aligning the photo with the horizon, I *think* it's because I
focus for maximum contrast, not maximum sharpness, and the grid gives me a
contrast reference at the dark end of the scale.  I don't seem to notice
the grid otherwise.

I use the grid for alignment only when I'm using a tripod (meaning almost
never).  If you're using the screen for travel pix I'd guess that the grid
would be handy for leveling horizons.

Since you've gotten several opinions for and against it's probably best to
seek the most reliable opinion: your own.  But for me, once the grid screen
is in my camera it never leaves.  I use it with 35-50-90 Summicrons, 60
Macro, and 280-400-560 Telyts.

A merry Ho Ho and a new red dot to you!

Doug Herr
Sacramento