Subject: [Leica] The 3D Efect, quality
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 23:51:02 EST

Hi All,

In a message dated 12/23/1998 4:09:01 PM EST, George wrote:

<< This is probably the wrong forum to discuss the topic.  It isn't likely
 that I will be able to convince anyone here that such an effect can be
 achieved using other brand-name lenses as well.  Optics are only part of
 what might make this illusion appear.  Lighting, film type, processing and
 other factors are likely involved, and so I'm suggesting that the effect
 isn't unique to Leica optics, that's all.  >>

Agreed. I've seen this same "3D" look from Zeiss and other manufacturer's
better lenses, and have not seen it in some of Leica's less stellar
performers. All things being equal (which they almost never are) some lenses
are incredibly sharp, but also flat and lifeless. I recently test shot a Canon
EOS 35mm F1.4L (sorry Walt...), and found it to be as good or better than any
35mm lens I've ever tried or owned for producing just this kind of effect. It
is a truely superb lens. Oh, and another word on Canon: the EOS 50mm f1.0L has
two aspheric elements. Haven't shot one of those myself yet.

On the quality front, my R8 had to be exchanged shortly after I bought it due
to the very common film counter problem. A second R8 worked fine. That this
was ever a problem amazes me - surely that was solved by other manufacturers a
long time ago. So, in other words, I believe Walt is probably right on (as
usual) with his 20% failure rate guess for the R8, at least up to this point.

At least the LUG retains its high quality. Season's greetings to y'all, and a
happy new year!

Will von Dauster