Subject: Re: [Leica] Canada vs. Leitz (Ger)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:57:06 -0600

>I would assume it was NATO that paid the bill since Canada used these
>lenses as well.

You would assume wrong. :-)  It was the U. S. Navy that commissioned this
lens for long-distance surveillance photography. Anyone else was,
obviously, free to buy the lens. Even us normal non-military folks. I saw
the tests the Navy conducted on the lens. (The paperwork). This lens is
still an amazing performer at infinity. Which was what it was designed for.
It was not designed for normal everyday photography. But it' works just
fine for that too.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

More hay, Trigger? No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!