Subject: Re: [Leica] Canada vs. Leitz (Ger)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 19:45:24 -0600

>I've followed the prices of Leica accessories on this newsgroup and
>various other sites.  I'm wondering why lenses made in Canada are of
>lower price than those made in Germany.  Other than the fact that
>Canadian manufactured lenses are designated as such, I would think that
>the formulas are executed by the Leitz standard.  Or, is it because the
>German manufactured Leitz lenses are more desirable, just because they
>are made in Germany,  than Canadian made.  Seems to me that Canadian vs
>German manufacturer is really irrelevant provided the Leitz formulae
>remains the same.  Comments?
>
>Scott

I think its as you said a perception that the German manufacturing must
be better than the Canadian.   I have a Canadian 90mm Tele-Elmarit that
is just wonderful -- so I don't believe this distinction.  Also, some Canadian
built cameras are more valuable than their German assembled counterparts.
The IIIG, for instance is worth about 50% more if it was assembled in
Canada than in Germany -- ask me how I know!  :-)

Mark Hammons