Subject: Re: [Leica] Monocular vs binoculars was A Leica Question
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:42:43 -0800 (PST)

Have you thought the need is for a spotting scope? Somehow I think the
Leica is actually a 12.5mm instead of the common 10mm. You divide your
lens' focal length by this and you get the magnification. If it was 10mm
and you had a 280 lens you get a 28X scope. not for handheld binoculars to
achieve. I use a Minolta one with a 300mm 4.5 and it is very good, but
compared to an earnest  scope like the Nikon spotting (not field) it gets
noticeable color aberations on out of focus subjects. It probably is the
lens, since I don't see that at lower magnifications.
This piece is good if you want a real good magnifier glass or microscope
on the cheap: attack to belows and a macro lens and you get a 80X
microscope.

Lucian