Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Projector; Prodovit -f or n
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:30:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jim,

Take a look on the left side of the projector and see if you notice a red
lower case f or n and that is the model you have.
It was made in mid fifties up to early 60's, some of the early ones had a
spring belt instead of the rubber found in the modern ones.
Cooling is marginal and if you use the 500W lamp (DAK/DAY) you should have
both heat filters in there.
Since you have the Colorplan, I would think yours is a late model.
Pradovits have always been the top of the line projectors at least in
features. A similar projector of that era was the Pradolux which was a
strictly manual operated projector (no remote and no automatic
feed feature).
You will be happuy with the quality of the projection as it is.
BUT as soon as the lamp burns out I recommend you either buy a DYY
replacement  for the DAK or a long life replacement for the CWD (I thinkit
is a CRP or something of that sort).
MAke sure you perform the lamp allignment properly, and that you never
run it without the belt or spring belt working properly. Sometime the
clutch for the focusing is dried (hardened rubber) and the focusing
feature doesn't work.

The newer projectors are a little better from two respects:

Better bulb and better cooling.
the newer ones have either a 24V 150W or a 24V 250W Halogen lamp which
give out a whiter light (not so yellow, or it has a higher color
temperature) and they are brighter as well.
The size of the filament is smalller as well and according to a post on
the Rollei list that results in an increased depth of field of the (fast)
Colorplan.
The true Pradovits (not the jokers like P150) have a two section fan which
cools separately the lamp and the slide. And they are a lot more efficient
than your helicoidal fan (radial or centrifugal fans are).
Hope I didn't confuse the subject harder for you!

lucian