Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica R 16 mm f2.8 lens
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 98 06:13:58 +1100

[ R 16mm f2.8 lens ]

You can see a photo of my 16mm on my home page.
Nice compact lens, with 3 built in filters (blue,
yellow & orange).

It does flare though, so best to compose your shots
if you can with the sun masked behind a tree, building
etc.

(As an aside, I dumped my Nikon gear for Leica just so
I could use this lens!)

>until you get sick of the curvature all the time.

As I pointed out a few weeks ago, if you are creating
images for digital use, then there exists software
(a photoshop plug-in) which allows you to correct
out the curvature:

Helmut Dersch "Panorama_Tools"

<http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/>

>The 15mm regardless of the price.

The 15mm has a fovy of @ 95-degrees, the 16mm goes up
to 120-degrees.  (I am talking long axis here and not
diagonal).

So if you need *wide* coverage, then the 16mm is still
your bet, "regardless of the price"...

>if you don't have the money to play in a high stakes
>lens game

Didn't realise (pro) photography was a 'high stakes lens
game'.  Thought the point was to capture images which
express what you & your client wants.  Well there you
go - learn something new & useful every day.

Andrew Nemeth

VR MEDIA  SOUND  PHOTO  JAVA
nemeng  Warrimoo   Australia
www.nemeng.com