Subject: RE: Re[2]: [Leica] 'My baby is American made'
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:50:59 -0500

>      The third statement implies the opposite of the first, but
> the second
>      does not.
>
>      Art Peterson
>      Alexandria, VA

Absolutely not true. The third statement does not suggest, imply, or prove
anything about the first statement. The fact that there may be workers
overseas who are acculturated to working long, hard hours at low pay does
not in any way suggest that American workers are either lazy or stupid. It
may suggest that they are not corporate slaves. It may suggest that they are
not human oxen. It may suggest that they believe there is more to life than
"work." It does not, however, suggest that they are either lazy or stupid.

I am not an economist, but I would suggest that we no longer have a photo
industry because we were undercut by the Japanese several decades ago when
they began producing quality photo products at low cost - producing them at
low cost because their standard of living, and thus wages, was infinitely
lower than ours, and their industries have government support.

1. The average American worker is not stupid or lazy.
> <snip>
2.  The underlying problem is the failure of American public
> >schools.
3. There is no way an American worker can avoid competition from