Subject: Re: [Leica] I for one am glad Kodachrome is dead or dying.
From: "Isaac H Crawford" <eyes1@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:44:48 -0500

,

>Until you have tried some of the new E-6 films don't knock 'em.

I stopped using E-6 films recently...The first time I tried K64, I was
hooked, K25 is better, but I can't use it all the time...

The benefit to these newer
>films over Kodachrome it that they are more accurate in color rendition,
but
>most offer better color saturation.

Huh?  I've heard this many times, and it has never made sense...a film is
either accurate OR more saturated...not both. If a film is MORE anything, it
is no longer accurate. To me, Kodachrome is MUCH more accurate than any E-6
film I've ever used...maybe not over every plot on a Macbeth color chart,
but the overall effect is, IMO, much more true to life.

Example, Kodachrome can not reproduce
>purple well, it comes out as blue.

And all of the blues I've ever seen with Velvia in particular were leaning
towards purple... Too much magenta in the blues (that's how it gets that
"electric" look), at least in comparison to K64...

All the new E-6 films can reproduce
>purple and other colors much more accurate comparable and often better
grain
>than K25 or K64.

Remember, color reproduction and grain are not everything...contrast and
microcontrast play a big part in how an image looks...I also find that color
nuance is better appreciated with Kodachrome than with any E-6 film.
There's a guy at work who kept giving me a hard time about shooting "that
old film". He asked me, why would I shoot that stuff when Velvia is finer
grained and has more punch? My answer...because nothing else looks like
Kodachrome...

Isaac