Subject: [Leica] I for one am glad Kodachrome is dead or dying.
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:48:39 -0800

To all you Kodachromists,

Until you have tried some of the new E-6 films don't knock 'em.  I stopped
using Kodachrome several years ago when some of the E-6 films became better
and far far easier to find processing.
People always resist change, especially photographers.  The great majority
of magazines stopped using Kodachrome years ago (a colleague of mine who now
uses all E-6 films refers to Kodachrome these days as Kodachrap).  The #1
choice is Fuji Velvia but although rated ISO 50 my tests show it an ISO40
film.  Very contrasty with a lot of color punch.  Kodak does offer 3
variations of their new Kodak Ektachrome film which are much better than
older Ektachromes many remember.  There are E100S, E100SW, and soon E100VS.
These are true ISO 100 films.  The S means Saturated color, SW Saturated
with Warmer coloring, and soon to be available VS means Vivid Saturated
color (alleged to be the most Velvia like).  The benefit to these newer
films over Kodachrome it that they are more accurate in color rendition, but
most offer better color saturation.  Example, Kodachrome can not reproduce
purple well, it comes out as blue.  All the new E-6 films can reproduce
purple and other colors much more accurate comparable and often better grain
than K25 or K64.

Peter K
(Happy E-6 user)