Subject: Re: [Leica] Another question on 70-180 and 80-200
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 06:42:26 -0800

Ben Ho wrote:

<<<I also noted that Leica has a 80-200/4 which is a lot cheaper and very
much lighter.

>I can live without the extra 2.8 stop.  Does anyone know how is the optics
>of this 80-200/4 comparing to the old 135 and the 180 I have? (Thinking of
>selling off my 135 and 180.)>>>>>>>

Hello Ben,

I have the 70-180 because I do need the extra lens speed. However, having
used the f4 80-200 I'd buy it instead of the 70-180 without question. Wide
open this is a spectacular lens and very under rated for it's quality.

When you use it wide open and do a tight frame on someone and can see the
individual eyelashes as sharply as they can be, how much sharper does one
need a lens. It has excellent overall sharpness, very easy to handle and as
I said, if I didn't need that extra aperture stop I'd have the 80-200.

You will not go wrong purchasing this lens. Go for it. Itll easily replace
the two lenses you're considering selling and I don't doubt you'll probably
have better overall images.

Excellent colour renditon/contrast also.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant