Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL/M6 Leica Pres Visit
From: Mike Austin <maustin@uswnvg.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:53:21 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Ummm lets see...where to begin.  The rangefinder is a means of telling you
where the lens is focused on.  We know that.  The lens will focus on whatever
it will, and you will not know what...until you look through the viewfinder,
which is part of the rangefinder.  We know that.

So, if I am not happy with what I am seeing through the viewfinder, which is
directly connected in a way to the rangefinder, then I have no confidence in
the rangefinder.

It is with that thought and idea that I looked closely at the viewfinder.  It
is through the viewfinder that you see the results of the rangefinder.  Until I
am comfortable with what I am seeing through the viewfinder, then I will check
on how accurately it focuses.  You see?  If I am not happy with what I am
seeing through the viewfinder, then why bother trying to see if rangefinder
will accurately tell you if you have the lenses focused properly?

I dont mean to make it sound like a slam of some sort.  My eye feels very
comfortable with the older M6 and not the M6TTL.

> >From what you write, you seem to have 2 separate complaints. One about
> the rangefinder system, and one about the viewfinder. Am I right ?

So, they go hand in hand.  The rangefinder may very well be right on the money.
But if the viewfinder is not accurately telling my eye, then why bother.  But
if the viewfinder is right on the money, then the rangefinder is off.  Again,
why bother?  Something about the what I was seeing through the M6TTL did not
appear right to my eye.

> Could you please describe exactly how you checked the vertical
> alignment?

At aimed the camera at a tower with its beacon.  The dot was not clear.  I took
the M6 and looked.  It was sharper and crisp....and right on.  The M6TTL did
not come together for me.  We tried at close distance.  It appeared to us that
it was off.  Looked at a sign in the store.  Took it outside to look at the
tower.  Took the M6 and did the same thing.  It looked right to our eyes.

> Then you seem to have complaints on the viewfinder itself. I requote

I was assuming that the rangefinder was good to go, and I tried to concentrate
on how the viewfinder itself was performing.  In either case, if what you are
seeing does not make you happy, you may or may not get the image you wanted on
film.  The viewfinder, mirror, prisms, telecope (whatever it is inside that
sends the image across) are all part of a system to "tell you" where the lens
is focus on.  If you cannot get an accurate representation of what the lens is
doing, then why bother?  And if you cannot discern the minute details of
whatever it is you are trying to focus with the viewfinder/rangefinder, then
why bother?  Im sure we all agree on that point.  I hope that this does not
come across as being "greater than thou".  Im just saying that this is what I
expect from this system.

> This seems unrelated to the focusing issue. To me it looks like a 'pure'
> viewfinder issue. It reminds me of what happens when I use the wrong
> dioptric correction on an eyepiece or if I wear the wrong glasses.

Then again that could be it too.  But I see well with my glasses.  I even tried
to look at how far back the eyecups were between the two cameras.  Looking at
how the viewfinder's opening was set up a little from the base of the eyecups
on the M6TTL.  It was different than on the M6.  If they moved that, what else
did they move?  The eyecups looked ok to me.  They appeared to me to be at the
same distance from the body.  The thought came to me, "I wonder if they shim
things in here?? Hmmm..."  I cannot tear one apart to find out.  Hmmmm...might
have to do that one of these days....

> So please forgive me for a question that might seem strange: is there
> anything marked on the narrow silver strip on the front of the
> viewfinder of your current M6? Are you positively sure you have only
> tested 0.72x bodies ? Have you been confronted with a mix of M6 0.85x
> and M6 TTL 0.72x bodies (the silver one was certainly 0.72) ?

I distinctly remember asking the dealer if he had an M6 with a .85x mag and he
said that he did not.  I remember joking about it saying that wouldnt it be
funny if the M6TTL .85x looked just like a normal M6.  We were using only the
normal M6s and M6TTLs.  My current M6 is normal.  I thought to myself, "I
wonder if I could send this to Leupold, and have them put Mil-Dot in it?
Hmmm."  hahahaha  That being said, the shutter release button felt different,
too.....

> Thanks beforehand for your precisions.

Youre welcome.