Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL/M6 Leica Pres Visit
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 05:46:13 +0100

Mike,

Thanks for your report and for the transcription of your meeting with
the Leica USA president.

Regarding your experience with the M6 TTL, I cannot help being very
surprised, and would like some clarifications on what happened.

From what you write, you seem to have 2 separate complaints. One about
the rangefinder system, and one about the viewfinder. Am I right ?

On the rangefinder side, you seem to imply that all M6 TTLs you have
checked either did not focus at infinity or were vertically out of
alignment, or showed both defects.

Could you please describe exactly how you checked the vertical
alignment?

Then you seem to have complaints on the viewfinder itself. I requote
you: "I was looking at a tower.  With your eye, you can see two support
beams run up side by side, parallel with each other.  I put the M6TTL up
to my eye to see if I can discern the two.  Nope, not clearly as with my
eye.  I put the M6 up to my eye.  Two distinct lines running parallel
with each other up the tower as seen through the M6's viewfinder. You
can see the space between them......The M6 just appears to be more
pleasing to my eye when viewing through the viewfinder.  Images seen
through the viewfinder of the M6 are sharp."

This seems unrelated to the focusing issue. To me it looks like a 'pure'
viewfinder issue. It reminds me of what happens when I use the wrong
dioptric correction on an eyepiece or if I wear the wrong glasses.

While I have not tested the focusing accuracy of any M6 TTL, I've toyed
extensively with more than one, looking through classic bodies then
through TTL bodies and vice-versa, and have not noticed any
'unsharpness' to the viewfinder. During the Leica days at Alpha Photo in
Brussels last week, the Leica salesmen argued on the contrary that the
viewfinder itself was slightly larger on the M6 TTL than on the M6
classic, ensuring a slightly better vision. I cannot say I really saw
any improvement, but I certainly did not see any degradation. But if
Leica says there is a difference, that means they are not exactly the
same....

What you describe is nevertheless so systematic and so obvious that it
should have shown during my own manipulations. It was not the case.

So please forgive me for a question that might seem strange: is there
anything marked on the narrow silver strip on the front of the
viewfinder of your current M6? Are you positively sure you have only
tested 0.72x bodies ? Have you been confronted with a mix of M6 0.85x
and M6 TTL 0.72x bodies (the silver one was certainly 0.72) ?

Thanks beforehand for your precisions.

Alan
Brussels-Belgium