Subject: Re: [Leica] your opinion about G2
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 19:36:54 +0100

Peter,

I expressely stated that I was not discussing optical performance as
such : I am not qualified to do so, and do not have any benchmarking
tools at my disposal. I was discussing the fact that the price delta
between G and M lenses has reasons other than Sölms greed: the
mechanical construction of the M lenses (and body) is MUCH more complex
than that of the G.

The G simplicity entails the loss of some of the features I find
essential: it prevents the user from focusing the lens himself and it
excludes any depth of field scale on the lens. Those 2 major drawbacks
are aggravated by the electronic telemetering behaviour of the G2 (and
G1 seems worse from what I read). The G design entailed, in my personal
experience, an unacceptable proportion of flagrant focus misses and not
so obvious near misses. I have not encountered those with the M system,
and I place a lot of confidence in the design of the opto-mechanical
telemetering device of the M and on the mechanical interaction between
the M body and the M lens. There is a financial price to such mechanical
complexity.

So there is IMHO an indirect link between mechanical design and imaging
performance in this particular case.

friendly regards
Alan