Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photographing people in public
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:09:13 +0100 (MET)

Bud Cook wrote:

>>Some of us old timers may remember another pretty good camera for
>>*candid* photographs.  It was called a Rolleiflex and I rue the day I
>>sold my 2.8D.>>>>

I *took* close pictures of some french anti riot (CRS) police officers
arresting two fellow photographers in a rather hot Paris demonstration some
years ago. My colleagues were news photographers, and were carrying helmets
like they use to do by such occasions. They survived the banging, but got most
of their equipment smashed. The police went mad that day... I was near by
with a soft beret and a Rolleiflex, and the film was rolling...till 12. Then
I went to "La Coupole", one of the famous bars at Montparnasse, had a glas
of wine, watching old ladies drinking tea, and wondering about how peaceful
life could be just a hundred meters from a battle field. I was shivering a
bit, changed roll, emptied the glass, and went back again.

I sold a couple these "shots", and the others were used in the following
court proceedings. My fellows obtained redress. C'est normal...

Oddmund