Subject: Re: [Leica] war photographers
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:35:16 -0800

Jeremy Kime wrote:

> Wow!
> Gene's over the road from you?
Jem,
How do you know Gene?  His wife is back in London working for a
photographer.  He has one daughter in school in England and one about to
start at Univ.of So. California and a big, expensive house in SD that is
mostly empty because he is working so much.  Thinking about going back
to London, but hates to leave daughter here alone.  But his wife, who is
English, missed home too much to stay.  So they have a intercontinental
marriage right now.

I'll have to ask Gene about Don's techniques for printing.  I took some
4x5 over to him to process and print on Friday (first BW assignment in
two years! and that was only backup to the color.) He has finished McC's
AutoB, so I get it back finally.  Gene is wonderful resource.  He is the
only guy I can take film to, have him process, proof, pick something,
print and deliver to client--and I can trust his work.  We have darkroom
in studio but I don't use it enough to keep fresh D76.  He still gets
film in from all over the world to print.  I was there a while back and
he was running 400 rolls of horses from Vavra.  And still, every Friday
night he has a free open house discussion of BW photography/printing.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego