Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Baketball help needed from Pros
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:21:56 -0800

Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I will be shooting some NCAA and CIAU basket ball tonight and had a few
> questions for the pros.  After taking a quick look at the NBA web site, I
> noticed the pictures look like they were taken with the aid of a flash.  Is
> the use of a flash acceptable in this sport or are the arenas wired with
> flash systems in the rafters?

Robert,
A friend does lots for the NBA (Andy Hayt)so I have a little knowledge.
Typically for every game an assistant hauls in the power packs (usually
big Speedos set near minimum power with quad heads for short flash
duration.  Usually four packs/heads, two on each end focused on basket.
Flash heads on opposite end adding some fill.  He usually shots Nikon
zooms, plus Hasselblad for much.  He has done the work to determine
flash sync delays with different cameras so he can remote a Hassy and
Nikon with same strobe pop--using flash wizard radio slave.  After each
game the lights come down.  Usually shooting at F/4 with ISO 100.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego