Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Baketball help needed from Pros
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:30:19 EST

When I've shot pro basketball, we were wired into house strobes.  The big
question determining your lens selection is where you'll be positioned.
If you are courtside and can move about freely,  the 90 will probably be
your favourite lens.  A 70-180 lens would be ideal.  If you're limited to
what you can shoot from your seat, a zoom is essential.  If you are in
the stands, the 105-280 may just be your best choice.  You'll need fast
film with the f/4.2 aperture and perhaps a short monopod to brace the
lens on your chair.  I'm guessing the lens is quite long and heavy from
the pictures I've seen.   The 300 2.8 is a possibility; as a spectator it
and certainly the 400/2.8 would be quite a bundle to wield through the
crowd.  Then again, the 105-280 is gargantuan for its range and speed in
comparison to other marques.
Basketball and hockey are the two sports where a high-tech AF system and
a motor drive capable of 5 or more fps is most advantageous IMHO.

Regards,
Nigel

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:49:11 -0400 "Robert G. Stevens"
<robsteve@istar.ca> writes:
>Hi:
>
>I will be shooting some NCAA and CIAU basket ball tonight and had a
>few
>questions for the pros.  After taking a quick look at the NBA web
>site, I
>noticed the pictures look like they were taken with the aid of a
>flash.  Is
>the use of a flash acceptable in this sport or are the arenas wired
>with
>flash systems in the rafters?  What is the best lens focal length?  I
>was
>thinking of bringing a 35 summicron, 90mm Elamrit, and a 60mm Elmarit.
> Is
>there any point in bringing longer lenses.  I have a Leica 400 2.8,
>Tamron
>300 2.8, or a Leica 105-280 4.2 to choose from.
>
>As for cameras, I will use an R7 with motor for the longer shots and a
>R8
>with winder for under the net and close shots.  I wish the R8 had a
>motor
>available.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]