Subject: [Leica] More Sharpness is Highly Overratted
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 98 11:16:38 -0400

Jim wrote:

>Which, I suspect, look the same as your Leica pinhole
>photographs. Crappy.

At this point I will agree with you, the test roll I shot did indeed look
crappy (except one frame of a beagle that somehow scared me). However,
I'm suprised that you would characterize pinhole photography as crappy
and seem to dismiss it outright. I've seen the web sites, I've had
assistants come in to show their books filled with "art", many using
pinhole techniques. Much of it is indeed crappy. On occasion the results
are stunning. Most art forms or techniques, new and old, whether it's
music or dance or photography or illustration, is often termed crappy by
many. You question my intentions very simply, "Why?" you ask. Why not? I
may fail, I may not. It does have a look, as do most techniques or
trends. I've decided to use the Leica as a convenient way to experiment
now and then. I did the Oatmeal box in school also. My results were
crappy then too. It's very difficult to make a good photo with a pinhole.
It's a good exercise though. It's all about design. It makes you really
look at the composition from purely a design point of view.

A couple of years ago, after playing with the pinhole on a Hasselblad
(and getting crappy results), I pulled out an old field camera. Has
anybody ever seen or used an old "portrait" lens that was intentionaly
soft focus? The one I saw seemed to be simply a view camera lens without
the front element. So I took apart the 3 lenses that were with the camera
and found one of them to work wonderfully! The image is not so sharp.
Very different than the pinhole look. Moderate center sharpness falling
off rapidly into oblivion. View camera controls determine where you put
the "sharp" part. Try it with your Linhoff, Jim. I love that camera. I
put a couple of shots with this technique in my portfolio and got more
than one job from it. Sold both of them as stock, too. Enough to buy a
couple of Linhoffs ;) All that I'm saying is that Sharpness is Highly
Overrated. It has it's place, but can be very distracting. It's why I use
my Summiluxes wide open most of the time. I like to have sharpness there
when I need it, but sometimes it helps just to get rid of everything and
simplify the composition by breaking the rules. I hate rules. Sorry folks
if I digress away from Leica for just a moment.

charles