Subject: [Leica] Sharpness is Highly Overrated
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 98 10:47:46 -0400

With all the recent talk of Holgas, old vs new lenses, and enlightening
reports by Erwin and his mysterious brother, I'd like to share a recent
experience. A few weeks back, I actually sliced my eye because the film
on the table was so sharp. A 75 Summilux will do that you know, so watch
out. With my theory that Sharpness is Highly Overrated brought to the
front of my mind, I set out to try to dull the blade of my M6. I dug out
the body cap that came with the camera (first time I'd seen it since
getting the camera) and devised a way to turn it into a lens. The pinhole
camera is an age old technique and I know I'm not breaking any new ground
here. I drilled out a small (1/4? inch across?) into the center and
affixed the small brass plate w/ pinhole that I've had for a couple of
years inside the cap. Voila! Leica pinhole! The pinhole itself is VERY
small and well drilled. A quick test with chrome film rated at 800
revealed an effective f stop of around f90. The in camera meter works
remarkably well, though my hand held Minolta IV was a bit more accurate.
Handheld shots in bright sunlight were possible at around 1/15th. As
expected, my pictures were not so sharp. I would like to hear Erwin's
report on this lens! My intention for this is unclear. Probably B&W
graphic shots I guess. It's a pretty cool addition to the camera bag,
cheap and light. Lots of resources out there on the web and I'm still
trying to figure out the ideal hole size in relation to the focal length.
I may attatch an opaque film canister to the cap in order to make a short
tele. I wonder how I could make a zoom? Anybody else out there doing the
pinhole thing?

I also have a 4x5 field camera that I bastardized in a totally different
way, but I'll save that report for later if anybody's interested.

By the way, no offense to the sharpness police out there, I love my razor
sharp Leica glass.

charles