Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:52:39 -0600

Larry, out of curiosity, what is happening with trends in
M-sales?  (or tell me where to find out).  I hate to see
Leica go, but it ain't soundin' too healthy based on what I
hear/see.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Walt,

You can download a pdf document of the financial report from an URL in the
"Leica Newsletter" posted to the list yesterday (an URL I no longer have).

But that document shows M sales holding steady, down an insignificant 1.7%
compared to last year. R sales are down 37%. But sales overall were about
the same, thanks in large part to the compact cameras (Minilux, Minilux
Zoom, Z2X, Mini 3) which are up 64%. In fact, if I'm reading the figures
correctly, those four compact cameras outsold the entire R system.

Maybe the key to Leica's financial future is to discontinue the R line and
replace that production capacity with more Minilux and Z2X variations?
(Just kidding, guys. Sort of.)

Larry