Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Shooting Baketball help needed from Pros
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:39:29 -0600

Friday, Friday, November 27, 1998, Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> I guess I will stick with the 90 and maybe the sixty.  My R7
> has a motor, which is quick enough for how I shoot.  I just got a winder
> for the R8 and I am afraid I will find it very slow.

Take  your  400  2.8. I use mine for basketball and it gives very good
end  to  end  photos.  If  you look around while shooting you will see
everyone  covering the game has a least the 300 2.8 for a long lens to
shoot the opposite end of the court. I have used both and like the 400
better  just  because  of  the  extra  reach  and  I have always liked
shooting tight.

> If flashes are allowed, I will bring my metz 60ct and use it at a low power
> to get quick recycle.  I can use the flash meter in the R8 to set for the
> proper aperture.

DO  NOT  USE  ON  CAMERA FLASH!!! This is a major no no. The shots you
noticed on the NCAA page were lit using multiple strobes placed in the
ceiling  for  the  game. If you have a big circulation, SI, AP, or are
the  offical  photographer  you  can get these things set up, but they
usually only allow a certain number of lights placed up there.

The  only  time I have used on camera flash at any NCAA game was after
Texas  Tech  won  the  womens  National  Title  back in 1993 and I was
covering  the  game  for UPI. After the game Sheryl Swoops was cutting
down  the net and I put my camera on a mono pod with a 24 on it raised
it  up  above her head and shot her cutting down the net with a remote
trigger  and flash filled the photo. The photo ran on the front of the
Washington  Times sports page. This is about the only acceptable time,
post game reaction, to use a flash at NCAA games.

More  than  likely they will limit you to the end court areas, if they
allow  you  access  to  the  sides get on the side opposite your teams
bench  somewhere around the foul line and shoot with a 180 or so. This
makes a nice different perspective and allows you to get good reaction
shots  from  the  bench.  The  180 is nice and tight on plays in front
court  on both ends, allows good shots under the basket and allows you
to  shoot  back  across  the court. A 135 or 90 is also nice from this
location.

Good  luck and if you have any more questions ask away. I have covered
a    ton   of   round ball from NBA down to pee-wee over the years.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.