Subject: Re: [Leica] Food for thought for Thanksgiving (revision)
From: Thomas Pastorello <tmp@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:43:10 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 TEAShea@aol.com wrote:

> <<  In my judgement, and apparent judgement of many on this listserve,
>  the lenses designed under the old philosophy, are not merely of superb
>  quality -- they are unique in their characteristics.  >>
>
> They were of fine quality for their day, but their day has gone.  They are
> unique -- with unique distortions and unique lack of resolution and contrast
> compared to today's lenses.
>
> Tom Shea

Tom S.   I understand your point and do value low distortion, high
resolution and good contrast.  However, I get these fine qualities
from my SLR Nikkor lenses.  I turm to my M Leitz lenses to get the
qualities I described in my earlier post:  what I and many others
interpret as 3-D sculpting, edge definition which separates fore-, mid-
and background objects, superb tonal gradation even in shadow, and
distinctive bokeh. As Leica moves to greater resolution, etc., as its ASPH
line replaces its traditional line, we are losing the special image
forming characteristics that made Leica lenses unique.  I realize that my
assessment is subjective, but I believe the assessment of an image should
be subjective.  The resolution of an image won't make or break it as an
image which stirs the soul or elevates the intellect. And just what is the
value of *objective* measures?  Do we restrict our appreciation of and
desire for another human being to her/his height, weight, IQ, bank account
balance, etc.?  Ultimately, I think personality and character make the
crucial difference among people.  Ultimately, I think personality and
character make the difference among lenses.  It's great for a person to be
tall -- to a limit.  Perhaps 6 feet for a guy is better than 5 feet, but
is 7 feet better? 8 feet? 9 feet?  Resolution and contrast is great for a
lens -- to a limit.  There is such a thing as resolution beyond the
capacity of any film and contrast that's in appropriately high for many
applications, e.g., portrature, and distortion control that's irrelevantly
precise for three-dimentional subjects such as landscapes. Unless we do
only technical photography,
we have to understand the relationship between our lenses and and
our photographic objectives and and make a subjective assessment.  The
traditional Leitz lenses are contrasty enough and have high enough
resolution (I don't want to be much taller than 6 feet), I focus on their
special qualities (we strive in our lives for better character, not
greater tallness).
   Do I have any defenders out there?  Subjectivity is much more credible
when its a consensus of subjectivity.
   Thank you for your perspective, Tom.  I really believe our opinions are
not that different.  I'm sure we both value both the objective and
subjective criteria.     Tom P.
   Happy Thanksgiving to you and all!