Subject: Re: [Leica] Food for thought for Thanksgiving
From: Thomas Pastorello <tmp@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:27:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Eric Welch wrote:

> I think you are assuming an awful lot. Just because they may have some
> different approaches to lens design now than they have in the past, the new
> lenses prove they have not given up being the best, or even giving up on
> Leica's character. At least the ones I've used.
> --
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> "I say, play your own way. Don't play what the public wants. You play what
> you want and let the public pick up on what you're doing - even if it does
> take them fifteen, twenty years."
> -- Thelonious Monk

   I probably did overstate to make my point.  I do agree with you that
Leica is still the best.  One of my concerns, however, is that Leica
chooses to define its best now by the same standards Nikon and other great
manufacturers define their best.  The choice may soon be between degree of
quality rather than type of quality.  The only ASPH M-lens in which I
still see much of the old character is the 35 1.4 -- and that's more true
for the first version (with the two hand-polished aspherical elements)
than the current version (with one molded aspherical element).
   Thanks for your perspective.   Tom P.