Subject: Re: [Leica] Fast lenses, fast shutter speed
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:59:48 -0600

Sunday, Sunday, November 22, 1998, Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> I am going to try basketball for the first time next week.  I think I will
> use the R7 plus a 90 2.8, 60 2.8, and maybe even an M6 with Noctilux for
> the basket shots.  If the M6 works out at the basket shots, I might have to
> get a rapid winder.

I  would  take  the 400. Makes a great basketball lens. You sit at one
end   and  shoot  action  at  the  other  and  get  a  good  different
perspective.  I  have  made  many  photos  with  my  Canon 400 2.8L at
basketball.  Forget  the noctilux and use the 90 for the close end and
keep a wide on the 3rd body for diving out of bounds shots near you.

> Now for the autofocus link.  My Leica 400 2.8 is very bright and easy to
> focus quickly because of this.  I imagine a faster lens provides more
> focusing contrast to autofus cameras and allow them to focus a little
> quicker compared to a lens one or two stops slower.  I would buy a Leica
> autofocus R if it came out and used the existing R lenses plus some new
> autofocus lenses with the ultrasonic motor technology.

Yes,  I  have found that a fast long lens pretty much "focuses itself"
cause if it aint in focus you can't see it.  Myeye automatically keeps
the image in the lens sharp.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.