Subject: Re: [Leica] Fast lenses, fast shutter speed
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:33:39 -0400

Eric:

The grain seemed better than a kodak multispoeed film I shot at an EI of
800.  I find the slide films always look sharper and are a little cleaner
looking. Some of the problem may be that a lot of the mini labs that do
C-41 do not have good quality.  The negatives always seem to come back with
roller marks and dirt.  I just got a Jobo CPP-2 and may use it to do some
C-41 processing.  The negative film is still better in harsh light for
getting some shadow detail.

The negative films may have an advantage in grain when using an EI over
800.  The P1600 slide films seem very contrasty as well.  I can understand
why the newpapers use negative films with their wide latitude.  Since I was
shooting slide film for the Football game, I decided I better do some test
exposures.  During the warm up I shot a 20exp roll of the players to use as
a test film.  I developed this first and saw that it was slightly dark, so
I did the other four rolls with a half stop extra push.  I understand now
why some pros do snip tests on their films prior to developing the whole
batch.

I have a friend in the sign business that needed some pictures to scan and
show clients his work.  He wanted it in prints, but I told him slides would
be much better.  I shot it with a 50 asa Agfa print film and Velvia.  The
Velvia scanned with almost no grain.  The Agfa looked muddy in the whites
and was grainier.  He was sold on slides and I did the rest with Velvia.  I
did some of the signs with the Noctolux so that they stood out from the
background.  It did an awesome job.  With Velvia you can shoot at F1 and
1000th in hazy and overcast light.

Regards,

Robert