Subject: [Leica] A vanishing act
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:41:12 -0600

LUG,

  I  read  some sad news this morning. The Chattanooga Times will close
  their doors permanently on Jan 4 1999.

  I have many friends at this paper. It is where my photo career began
  many  years  ago  with  an  internship.  People who were writers and
  street   photogs  like  me  are  now  editors  there  and  they  are
  understandably in limbo in the midst of this holiday season.

  This  is  the  paper  Alfred  Ochs started his newspaper empire with
  before  he moved on to New York and bought the New York Times in the
  late 1800's.

  I saw my first Leica while interning at the Times. George Baker, one
  of  the  old timers there shot with M's. He was a character. Rushing
  into  the  office  every  day to be the first to read the "Far Side"
  then spend the rest of the day bitching about how he did not get it.

  Anyway  I wanted to point out that yet another newspaper is closing.
  I  think  it  is  time we all realize that with the closing of every
  newspaper  a  little  more  of  us all is lost. There are very few 2
  paper  towns  anymore.  This means only one perspective is given the
  readers  and  the people are less well informed. Of the 4 newspapers
  and  1  wire  service I have worked with over my career 3 newspapers
  and  1  wire service are memories only. Doors closed permanently due
  to lack of money and readership decline.

  Oh  well  I guess we can get all the indepth news and information we
  need from CNN..........WRONG!!

  If any of you know of any jobs for some great news photogs let me know
  and I'll forward the leads on to my friends.

  May  you all have a happy Thanksgiving and please keep my friends in
  your thoughts.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.