Subject: [Leica] auto vs. manual
From: "Gary D. Whalen" <whalen@whalentennis.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:37:06 -0500

   I would appreciate some help from anyone in this group who has
extensively used both autofocus and manual focus.  The system you use is
not that important to me.  I shoot primarily wildlife/nature.

    I have all manual focus cameras and am having a hard time deciding
whether or not I want to go autofocus.  My general feeling is that there
will be only a few shots that I would miss using manual vs auto but that
there will also be some shots missed using auto vs manual.  Is that
true?

    My main questions:

    1.  How quick is autofocus?
    2.  Aren't there a lot of false focusing mistakes (ie  autofocusing
on the wrong point of interest) that you wouldn't have with manual?

    and 3.  If you use autofocus what percentage of the time do you use
the camera in manual?

   Thanks.