Subject: Re: [Leica] Landscapes with M Cameras (long)
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:42:08 EST

I wish I could have flown to New York for Tamarkin's hosting of Brian
Bower last week, because this is a question I've wanted to ask him
personally.  I use the screw-in, rotating-mount type of ND grad filter
with the Leica M.  The light-to-dark transition is a smooth gradient on
the screw-in types, as opposed to the rectangular grads which because the
demarcation may be repositioned vertically, tend to have a more sudden
transition.  The screw-in grads are far from being a panacea but they've
salvaged bags of shots for me (of course I won't claim that an
experienced pro or photo editor wouldn't be able to tell on close
inspection) and I have never felt compelled to centre the horizon in the
frame either.  Frankly, other than with a straight horizon, the use of
*any* ND grad on any type of camera cannot be completely camouflaged to
the experienced eye.  Try shooting two mountain peaks with a "V" of sky
in between, and you'll see what I mean!  Using ND grads with an M is
certainly less precise than with an SLR, but it is not impossible to get
decent results.   Again, I *do* wish I knew if Mr. Bower has a secret!

Regards,
Nigel

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:42:10 -0800 "Khoffberg" <khoffberg@email.msn.com>
writes:

>This cuts to a point that has plagued me for about a year now.  Assume
>for a
>moment that you're going to shoot landscapes during those "magic
>hours." <snip>
.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've attempted to
>use
>grads with an M camera.  I've tried a great many times.  As you would
>expect, it's a total crap shoot.
>
>Thus my question.  How do the rest of you deal with these types of
>shooting
>conditions with your M cameras?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]