Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: the mysterious "you wrote" and/or manners?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:05:38 +0100

Bob,

I struggle with the same dillema. Ever since I discovered the LUG in April, I have
received not a single flame, and many thoughtful and informative answers to my
questions. The recent flood of answers to my question about loupes is a good
example. I too feel obliged to thank the people who take time to help me out, but
on the other hand  I do not want to waste everybody's bandwidth and time with
simple "thank you" messages. I see two possible solutions:

(1) Thank people in private--this avoids wasting other people's time, but on the
other hand I like to make my gratitude public.

(2) In a case like mine (asking for advice before deciding on some purchase), post
one message to the LUG once the decision is made, stating what the decision was
and thanking all the respondents by name. This has the advantage of making my
gratitude public while minimizing bandwidth/time waste. I think I will adopt this
approach going forward.

Nathan

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> What I struggle with at times is the expression of gratitude for the time that
> one puts into providing input to those requesting it.    In my opinion, it is
> proper manners, socially or professionally, to thank someone for their time
> and efforts.  We are adults and we have taught this to our children.  What I
> struggle with is what is the right thing to do in this electronic forum?
> Should we expect to receive and provide an expression of gratitude to those
> that take the time to respond to our individual questions?  It does take
> bandwidth and time to review the posts.  However, it does show respect and it
> does help in maintaining the "class act" stature of the Leica Group.
>
> Over the past months I have asked for help on many topics and received it for
> which I am extremely grateful.  I have tried to express this appreciation to
> those that responded.  If I have been remiss in doing this please accept my
> sincere apology.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium