Subject: Re: [Leica] Viso III, M5, and M6TTL
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:01:52 EST

 For a small company such as Leica, 8 years is not an unimanginable
amount of lead time for a radical new design.    Perhaps it was not the
M5 *per se* which determined the configuration of the Viso III finder,
but rather some aborted prototype Leica was working on at the time; then
when the M5 was eventually developed one of the dimensional criteria was
retrofitting the Viso III.  I remember seeing photographs in a book I
have somewhere, of prototype Leica with a large selenium meter cell on
the front face and it appears the body is taller than the classic M.
Otherwise, the design of the Viso III finder and its quite precise fit
over the M5 is rather hard to explain, short of deeming it a coincidence
of near-prophetic proportion.

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 22:38:34 -0500 Marc James Small
<msmall@roanoke.infi.net> writes:
>At 07:36 PM 1998-11-09 EST, Nigel Watson wrote:
>>The Viso III prism finder will work fine (including it will fit
>>a Viso II) because it was designed to fit an M5; however it is much
>>larger than the Viso II prism and does not have the adjustable
>dioptre.
>

>This is a myth.  A common myth, but, for all of that, it is still a
>myth.
>The Visoflex III was introduced some eight years before the M5 and
>long
>before its dimensions were contemplated.
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]