Subject: [Leica] Strange lens opening ring on new Summilux-R 50/1.4
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 08:59:19 +0100

Friends,

I have noticed something odd with the new Summilux-R 50/1.4. I believe
that since somewhere in the eighties all lens engravings on Leica R
lenses have become blockier than before. Just look at the figure 5.
Before it was round and curved, since then it has become a blocky 5. This
is on both the focusing and lens opening ring.

Now, the odd thing is that while the the engravings on the focusing ring
on the new Summilux are the latest ones, the engravings on the lens
opening ring are once again round and curved. It looks as if they reused
some older lens opening rings. This is not the case with the Elmarit-R
35-70/2.8 ASPH.
Just look at the latest Leica Program book available on their website to
see what I mean. And I have also seen this for real in Solms.

This is, of course, just a cosmetic thing, but does anyone have an
explanation?

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch