Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: An unpleasant print mention
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:23:47 -700

On 7 Nov 98, Eric Welch wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> You are correct. I have emailed with the author of that article, and he is
> a negative-minded person who thinks that no one has a right to charge a
> reasonable amount of money for a used camera. He wants a Leica M3 and 50
> Summicron for $300? Please! He thinks people have no right to collect if
> it drives prices up, guess he doesn't understand basic economics.
>
> In fact, he used to be a camera store salesperson, who says Leica
> collectors drove him nuts.

Also, in fact, an argument might be made that the collector
segment of the Leica market is one factor in keeping the Leica
prices as *low* as they are.

I remember walking into my postmaster, one day, and expressed
my anger in the fact that the US Postal Service is producing all
the commemorative issues aimed at the collectors. Not being a
collector, it was my feeling that the cost of producing those
stamps was prohibitive and was responsible for the cost of our
lousy mail service being as *high* as it is.

His response really surprised me. He said, "Are you kidding? We
make tons of money on those collector oriented issues. Even after
paying the engravers, buying the paper, ink etc. and producing
them, the fact that the collector buys them in huge quantities
and squirrels them away without using them make it a *very*
profitable enterprise, thus helps keep the cost of the USPS as
*low* as it is.

Not a perfect analogy, but good, nonetheless.
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     Thought for the day: