Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W revisited
From: "robert poe" <karmaspapa@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 11:04:35 PST

    Hi Derek....
    My favorite B/W combination is HP-5 developed in PMG (Gordon
Hutchins formula) I get smooth tonal separations with an ei of 400.
Detail has an etched quality up to 9 x 12 with no apparent grain.  For
anything larger I think Kodak Technical Pan exposed at ei 25 developed
in technidol is got to be combination of choice.
    Happy trails, Bob

>Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 06:49:43 -0500
>From: "Derek Zeanah" <derek@thedkgallery.com>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: [Leica] B&W revisited
>
>My new Leica has turned me back on to photography.  I generally shoot
HP5+ and Delta 100 and develop in Microphen (I push a lot) and
Ilfosol-S.  But it's tom to do some serious testing of films/developers,
and I was hoping y'all would give me your favorite combinations so I can
put them on the list.

>What's the best B&W film for recording detail?  Anyone particularly
prefer T-MAX to Delta?  With what developers?  I was looking at HP-5+
negs last night, and while I like the images, I'd like something that
captures more detail and shows less grain.  I mean, I've got these
wonderful lenses, right?  <g>

>What's your favorite combo for push-processing?  I generally use HP5+
in Microphen which gives "acceptable" results (comparable to TMZ in
Accufine or Rodinal), but would live something with tighter grain.
Suggestions?