Subject: [Leica] LeicaCard member meeting experience in Wetzlar (long)
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 14:59:13 +0100

Friends:

Two days before the annual meeting of the LeicaCard members took place, I
got a message from the LeicaCard service department that I could attend
(as you remember, I had been told before that it was too late). So I left
for Wetzlar Friday morning Oct. 30. The meeting took place at the Mercure
hotel in Wetzlar on Friday Oct. 30 (from 4 pm on) and Saturday morning
Oct. 31.

The trip by train via Brussels and Köln to Wetzlar went smoothly, but due
to heavy and continuous rainfalls all over Western Europe since a couple
of weeks, it was obvious that the rivers have difficulty in absorbing all
this extra water. Floadings all over the place. The low lands bordering
the Lahn river that flows through Wetzlar are covered with water! Some
roads are inaccesible. And in Solms, the water almost reaches the railway
next to the Leica factory!

After arriving in Wetzlar and checking in at the Mercure hotel, a Leica
courtesy bus took interested LeicaCard members to the factory in Solms
for a guided tour of the factory. This was my second tour (the first one
was at the occasion of the Leica Akademie seminar in English at the end
of September), but what you see remains impressive. Unfortunately, and
although it was only 3 pm, most of the manufacturing and assembling areas
were already quite deserted (people can leave early as they often start
early in the morning). When one sees the very laborious and
time-consuming work done by the "magicians" at the factory, it is no
wonder that prices for Leica products must be steep. It was also the
occasion to meet a couple of Leica people at Solms.

The LeicaCard member meeting itself took place in Wetzlar, at the Mercure
hotel, from 4 pm onwards. My guess is there were about 250 persons
attending, all Germans (with the exception of two Belgians...), which is
only natural as the LeicaCard is unfortunately only available in Germany
(or some other European countries on explicit request, but the whole
LeicaCard program is in German and geared towards activities in Germany).
Hosts were Mr. Hagenauer (head of the PR department) and Isabel
Ulzenheimer (LeicaCard service center).

The first briefing was on the financial results of the past fiscal year
97-98 and Q1 of the new fiscal year. For figures, see the relevant pages
on the Leica internet site. A couple of interesting observations:
- - as you all know, the financial results of the past fiscal year were not
too spectacular. The expectations for a big uptake, especially in the R
section, could not be realized. This had a negative impact on the value
of Leica shares, not only for shareholders but also for the many Leica
employees who detain Leica shares.
- - the figures for Q1 of the new fiscal year show a dramatic decrease in
sales of R equipment (more than -40%) and a stagnation in M sales (minus
a couple of percent). The uptake of compact cameras is, on the other
hand, also dramatic (more than double increase, due to the effect of the
new Minilux Zoom). It was confirmed by the spokesman, although he could
not give any detailed figures on Q2 (the official release is not yet
authorized), that the negative R trend is continuing in Q2.
This led to a couple of sceptic remarks and questions from the audience.
It is not clear how the R will be developing further. Of course, one has
to take into consideration that, when comparing the Q1 figures with Q1 of
last year, there was at that time the effect of the appearance of the
then-new R8 on the market (a lot of pent-up demand), which is over by now.
Although I am a confirmed R fan, one can not refrain from thinking what
this development is holding for the future. In the rangefinder market,
Leica has clearly a competitive advantage and a solid reputation. But the
reflex market is much more competitive, and prospective buyers of
high-value equipment have a much wider choice (Nikon F5, Canon EOS1N,
Canon EOS3 etc.). Here it is much more difficult to make the case for a
competitive advantage for Leica, especially when comparing the excellent
Leica lenses to the also excellent professional Nikon and Canon L
lenses). Now that Q2 of the new fiscal year is apparently confirming the
trend of Q1, one might suggest that the R8 "effect" is as good as over.
Those who were interested, already got the camera, and now it is up to
Leica to create and stimulate a new demand and market. That explains the
action "Test our best" where interested people could testdrive a Leica R8
(but unfortunately with the 28-70 Sigma made zoom, which is not exactly
what Leica is all about). A pity this action was only limited to Germany.
There is no comparable action in Belgium or any other European country
that I am aware of.
The Leica spokesperson has confirmed that the company will develop
strategies to remedy the dire straits the R appears to be in.
It is in my opinion high time the R8.2 with electronically aided focusing
and, somewhat later, the R9 with full autofocus capability (although with
new lenses) came to market. The first could easily be achieved by
offering an internal upgrade for existing R8 bodies as the mechanism
would work with existing ROM-equipped lenses. No mentioning of either of
these developments though.
- - a very important thing to note is that almost 2/3 of Leica's sales are
now made abroad, that is outside of Germany. This clearly shows the
further internationalization of the Camera Group. Leica has gained
impressive sales increases in the USA, France, UK, and until the Asian
crisis also in Asia. Q1 figures suggest that the figures for Asia are
overcoming the crisis in the region again (especially in Japan).

After the financial briefing, the audience was showed the new Leica
videotape that was made just before Photokina and which I already
mentioned in an earlier posting in September. It is an excellent tape
that gives a good insight into development, manufacturing and production
of cameras and lenses, together with other historic facts. It is 13
minutes long and can be bought as a Leica Collection item for 15 DEM in
either the German (order number 940363) or English version (order number
942364). Of course, the tape is also a PR instrument, and some comments
in it are at times almost lyric and philosophic. The tape ends with the
following words:
"It will always be the same people who are inspired by the Leica
philosophy.
People who have come to recognize that certain things in life cannot be
bought - they have to be lived.
People who tend and cultivate their desires and allow them to grow. Until
ultimately deciding on something very special.
Leica belongs to the few things in life which never date.
One does not purchase a Leica, one invests in creativity.
For every Leica is so versatile that one is constantly discovering new
aspects.
Not of the camera.
But of oneself."
Needless to say that the audience was very excited after viewing the
tape. I am sure if people had been asked to bring their checkbooks, they
would have signed another check against some more equipment... ;-)
I recommend obtaining and viewing this tape! All LeicaCard members at the
meeting received a complimentary copy.

Third part of the evening was a briefing of the LeicaCard program by Mr.
Hagenauer, head of the Leica PR department. Many more interesting things
are planned for next year, among other things, two seminars: a seminar on
glamour/erotic photography in Köln and one on macrophotography on the
flower island of Mainau (a very recommendable place by the way and a
photographer's paradise - on the German-Swiss border in the lake of
Konstanz).
LeicaCard members clearly want prime access to any new information and
product developments. A problem for the LeicaCard service department is
that the information cannot be given too early (because it is not
officially released yet), or sometimes is given too late (after
publication in some other sources such as Leica Fotographie
International, or on the internet pages).
The new issue of LeicaWorld magazine will appear shortly.
I have asked Mr. Hagenauer privately when the LeicaCard will be
officially available to non-German residents, referring to the
internationalization of the Leica Camera AG. The good news is that he
confirms the plans exist, the bad news is that we will have to wait till
2000 (not next year). This is in part understandable because, to make the
LeicaCard attractive in foreign markets, the services will have to be
country-specific. That means the services will have to be local to some
degree, and for that the input and cooperation of the local distributors
will be indispensable. That takes some time to be implemented. In the
meantime, however, European residents who request to become member, can
do so with no problem, as I have experienced myself.

The briefings and Q&A's were followed by a buffet dinner, offered by
Leica. An ideal occasion to meet fellow Leica enthusiasts in Germany, and
exchange useful information on many photography-related topics.

After dinner, Reiner Harscher (editor of many excellent books and
professional Leica photographer) presented his slide show on the Greek
islands in LeicaVision. That was in my view the most impressive part of
the whole meeting. 10 Pradovit 2002 slide projectors, all necessary AV
equipment, and projections a huge three-panelled screen. Harscher himself
gave comments during the projection. The slides were spectacular and
showed almost all the Greek islands (from Zakynthos in the west to Rhodos
in the east, and Crete in the south). Great available light shots and
evening images, and many panoramic views where three slides were shown
together so that the image was almost 180°. All images were taken with a
mix of R equipment on Fujichrome Velvia and Provia films. The show was a
living testimony to the fact that these top films marry well with Leica
equipment.

On Saturday morning Leica salespeople were showing all the equipment
(projectors, scopes, compacts, M, R, digital, Minox). That was in my
opinion the least interesting part because the presentation of it was
ill-conceived. The program noted "a presentation of the new Photokina
developments." Instead of such a presentation we were confronted with a
counter like at a photoshop, with people pushing and pressing their way
to the counter, blocking the view for others. I didn't see the new
Elmarit-R 35-70/2.8 ASPH zoom, BTW, but that's maybe there were too many
people around it :-)
This part needs some overhaul for next year's meeting. I had expected it
to be better organized, and I am not alone with that opinion hearing from
some others' remarks.
The Digilux could also be tested, and the results were displayed on a 70
cm Grundig TV set. Very impressive results! Unfortunately however, the
Digilux does not appear to take the latest 16 MB smartmedia cards which
need another voltage. The included 2 MB smartmedia cart can hold two
images at the highest resolution.

Second part of the morning session was the excellent presentation of
Gunther Osterloh (the man from the famous M and R books, and head of the
Leica Akademie) on the different Leica Akademie activities for 1999. He
showed a lot of slides on all photographic trips undertaken during this
year. Spectacular and sometimes breathtaking images from Turkey, Lapland
(North of Finland), Austrian Alps, Scotland and Tanzania. It really gave
appetite to take part in such photo excursion. Unfortunately, the prices
are rather steep, although it is stressed that the excursions are really
specially tailored for Leica (private transport, special arrangements and
so on). I would be very much interested in Scotland, but at a price of
5,000 DEM per person, this is a tad too expensive to my taste. Another
problem is that all these trips depart from Frankfurt airport which is
not always convenient for foreigners. I suggest that the Leica Akademie
also offers trips without the airtrip from Frankfurt, so that people can
get their own plane ticket from their country directly to the destination.
Prices start around 1,800 DEM for a trip to Turkey up to 9,400 DEM for
the safari to Tanzania.
Now, what really was astounding, was that Gunther Osterloh said
afterwards that the slides he had shown were all taken with the Minilux
Zoom. Incredible, they were excellent. I could almost not believe it.

Finally, the meeting was concluded with the showing of the winners of the
LeicaCard photo contest. There were some very good images on different
topics that had to do with Europe (this was the topic of the contest,
subdivided into different categories like people, society, the Euro,
culture and so on). The winner of the first prize received a plane ticket
to Russia and a Minilux camera. The selection of the images was made by
Deutsche Presse Agentur (DPA), the German equivalent of Reuters and AFP.
Personally I did not find the winning image to be worth the first prize,
but that is -as always- a question of taste. I am a rather conventional
photographer - my main interest goes towards landscapes and
"postcard-like" images which are, unrightly so, too often considered as
too classic by many.
The winning image depicts two youths, one of them with a colored and
punky hairdo - our hope for the future...

So, that was the rather long overview of the meeting's activities. I hope
it was of some interest to the LUG! Mr. Hagenauer and Isabel Ulzenheimer
did a great job and I am looking forward to next year's meeting. There is
something very special about the Leica people. It is as if they have a
special and very personal relation with their customers. This is very
pleasant and is undoubtedly part of the Leica legend and why people
develop such brand-awareness and brand-loyalty. The LeicaCard meeting was
no exception to that. Mr. Hagenauer himself drove a couple of us back to
the station in Wetzlar after the meeting!

Pascal
Belgium

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !