Subject: Re: [Leica] LeicaCard member meeting experience in Wetzlar (long)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:36:29 -0800

Pascal's Leica card report:

Thanks Pascal, very interesting from a LUG insider perspective. I thought
the closing quote from the tape was rather significant, certainly in my own
case.

<<<<""For every Leica is so versatile that one is constantly discovering new
aspects. Not of the camera. But of oneself.">>>>>>

"But of oneself."  being the most significant.

When I purchased my first Leica it was the most important change to my
photographic career in that it made me become a better photographer,
because I now knew I could work like the great photographers I admired.

Well OK I thought it would! :)

The truth is it did change my way of shooting, and what I tried to do.  It
gave me confidence to work "closer to" the subject and in available
existing light;
"if HCB and Capa can take pictures from three feet away with next to
nothing light locations why can't I?"

Once you feel the confidence that comes with the little black picture
taking machine in your hands, you do become a better photographer. (or you
should.) It gave me throughout my assignments a <<constantly discover new
aspects. Not of the camera. But of oneself!" In this case, myself!

It is the changes to how I worked, primarily by the motivating and use of
only the light of day or night and a "no fear of using it."  This  approach
allowed me to produce projects like my book, "This is Our Work. The Legacy
of Sir William Osler." on the medical profession.

If I were to have stayed with the early days of "flash use" I'd have never
been allowed into locations where the constant flashing light would have
had me thrown out.  Nor would I have been recommended as a photographer
"because you never know he is there" to shoot in operating rooms or
Parliamentary sessions and many other "no photographers allowed"
situations.

So I find the tape closing comment to be very true in my own case,"discover
new aspects. Not of the camera. But of oneself!"  That without question,
has allowed me to constantly discover myself as a photographer for 40
years.

Thanks again for the post.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant