Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/1.5 summarit
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:18:59 -0700

Dear Ferdinand,
I have both the Summarit and the latest 50mm Summicron f2.0. They are quite
different in every way. The f1.5 is longer, heavier, and larger in diameter.
The accessory hood, if you can find it is expensive ($150.00+). It is far
more subject to flare (its worst fault, I think) and is a softer focus lens.
It has been described as a prewar lens that was coated and updated in the
50's. It is a low-contrast lens. The Sumicron is almost a polar opposite.
Sharp, high in contrast, flat field, etc. One of he best lenses of all time,
so it's  tough competiton for an old lens. Still, I have taken some nice
pictures with the old lens, and it is very nice to use becasue of the
focusing lever and sweet feel.
Joe Stephenson