Subject: Re: [Leica] LOCAL STORES
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:11:59 -0500

Thomas-
Your frustration is understandable; though I work in the lab at the local
Wolf Camera, our motto is "Our expertise is Free". Being an old fart who has
actually seen glass plates, when the odd oldie goldie walks in, they
youngsters call on me to help them find the battery that Nikon hid in the
mirror box, or show someone how to change the lenses on their spotmatic
 never saw a screwmount?, funny!)
I am glad to help, and since I am not on commission I can shoot the bull as
my schedule permits. I love it.
I do however understand the predicament of the sales staff; they deal with
those who ignore our endeavor to match any advertised price in town to go to
the local schlock-mart and buy their camera, then come in for use to put in
the batteries, load it, and show them how to use it. Last week a couple had
an Advantix with them- and were puzzled that the film wouldn't advance when
they loaded it- I came over to help- showed them that you have TO TURN THE
CAMERA ON FIRST! After getting them squared away I commented that I would
bet if they read the instructions, it would have been a lot easier than
driving over to the store! The salesperson then informed me that they had
gotten the camera at a drugstore. I can understand the resentment of the
sales people who have to generate sales in order to keep up their income,
and then have to spend otherwise productive time on those type 'customers'.
I am amazed at their courteousness and patience under those circumstances!
Another bonus, especially with new equipment, is that if there is a problem,
most stores have some sort of money back option or exchange. We offer 10
days no questions asked return, and a thirty day direct exchange- so if
there is a problem, we can deal with it immediately!
One of the other local stores ( I am an equal opportunity spender!) gets a
lot of my business because he'll wheel and deal and you can get almost the
mail order price with none of the heartaches....
Don't get me wrong- I've bought off eBay, KEH and other mail-order firms and
have been generally happy, but it is nice to be able to listen to that
shutter drag and beat the price down!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com