Subject: Re: [Leica] LOCAL STORES
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:52:07 EST

 I agree wholeheartedly.  I have *never* done my pre-purchase research at
my local camera shop.  Firstly, I think it would be clearly wrong to take
up their time all the while never intending to pay their prices.
Secondly, I've heard them sling enough b---s--- at naive, wide-eyed
customers to fill a barn.  Whenever I find myself suddenly out of film, I
try to take up as little of their time as I can, whilst paying them $2
*per film* more than the local Mart-Mart and $3 more than mail-order.
They also sell a particular Nikkor lens for $1300 which cost $950 at B&H.
 That is $350 difference.  If I were to take up 2 hours of their time
discussing the purchase, that would be $175 per hour.  That is more than
many attorneys charge.  Please, as you Americans say "give me a break".

Regards,
Nigel

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:47:45 -0600 "Thomas M. Wyse"
<tmwyse@centuryinter.net> writes:

>Let me add a heartfelt AMEN...I ran a gun shop for several years and
>it was
>quite common for people to come in and take up literaly hours of my
>time
>"fingering" every gun in the house and asking a gazillion questions
>and then
>go to the local MART-MART and purchase the item and saving perhaps 10
>to 15
>percent...I even had them have the audasity to bring there new rifle
>and
>scope back to me and ask if I could put the scope on for
>them...(suuuurrrreee I did).  If you need assistance in making a
>purchase,
>please have the decency to be willing to pay the merchant for his
>expertise...
>tom

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]