Subject: Re: [Leica] LOCAL STORES
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:30:52 EST

Marc, by the time I am ready to buy anything I know *exactly* what I
need.  I poll people who own(ed) and use(ed) the equipment I'm interested
in, as well as those who repair it; not those who manufacture or retail
it.  (As an aside, had I followed my local camera-store's "sage" advise
some years ago, I would now have a closetfull of Topcons in place of my
classic Leicas.  That might partly account for my reasoning today!)  If
there's one thing I've learnt in all my years in photography it is that
there is no shortage of opinions to be got free of charge, and I gladly
reciprocate in kind.   Whatever the commodity, my personal modus operandi
is to do bags of research on my own and then shop for the best possible
price.  I guess I'd just rather be short-sighted than short on cash ; )

Regards,
Nigel

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:45:43 -0500 Marc James Small
<msmall@roanoke.infi.net> writes:
>At 01:32 PM 1998-10-29 EST, Nigel Watson, mayhaps a bit
>short-sightedly,
<snip>
>Nigel
>
>The local stores will take the time to talk you through things, to
>help you
>see exactly what you need.  These large NYC outlets are simply that:
>they
>are order-takers and order-fillers, for the most part.  It is worth a
>15%
>surcharge to support local expertise.
>
>Marc
>

>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]