Subject: [Leica] Darkroom psychosis
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:31:50 +0000

>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 98 16:11:34 -0500
>From: Mary & Stan Kephart <kephartol@att.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] darkroom update...
>
>Hi francesco,
>
>Yes.  I found that the 15-watt put out too much light, and was happy to
>find a 7 1/2-watt at my local hardware store.  I don't know if they're
>availabe everywher
>
>Bought some dark (very) grey paint for my darkroom today.

DON'T USE IT!!
except behind the enlarger to prevent stray light near the print.
A darkroom should be white to bounce around as much safelighting as possible.
A black darkroom is fine technically but psychologically  it's not conducive
to a happy life.
You'll spend long hours in there, so it's got to be as pleasant and light as
possible, or else you will emerge a bigger loony than when you went in. My
darkroom has the lot - white walls, music, comfortable stool, even beer, and
I still emerge withdrawn and crazed! The college darkroom I work in is all
black, gloomy and horrible - it's a completely different working environment.

By the way, Francesco, Bravo! For your enthusiasm and persistence. As has
already been said, you're nearly there. I think you should buy the cheapest
enlarger you can find that doesn't wobble when you tap it, and put a decent
Nikon or Rodenstock lens on it (really not expensive, so many are made).
Enjoy the simplicity, yet endless possibilities of the printing ritual. I
hope you produce personal and surprising work in there which will extend
your way of seeing more than you can at first realise. Once you know what
you are doing you can know what you want and so upgrade the enlarger to
exactly what suits you - it might not make a huge difference to your
results, more a difference in the pleasure of using a good machine well, but
it's pointless chucking lots of money at it initially (aprt from the lens).

Alex